The Carrot name came from the Greek word karōton, originally from the Indo-European root. Carrots are rich in dietary fibre, antioxidants, and minerals.
|Carrots can be selectively bred to produce different colors|
I never knew that carrot roots are so useful. Ethnomedically, the roots are used to treat digestive problems, intestinal parasites, and tonsillitis or constipation.
I browsed a lot of recipes to find carrot cake without using much oil but i didn’t find much or a recipe that would satisfy me. Here in this recipe I tried to use unsweetened apple sauce instead of vegetable oil which made be feel so happy to bake and eat it without any guilt.
1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts coarsely chopped
3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup 300 grams) granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1tbsp vegetable oil or canola oil
1 cup apple sauce/ crushed pineapple
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray 10 inch round cake pan and grease bottom of pan with butter and flour.
2. Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute).
5. Gradually add the sugar both white and brown and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 – 4 minutes).
6. Add the oil and apple sauce/crushed pineapple and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
7. with a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots.
8. Pour the batter in the two prepared pan and add the chopped walnuts/pecans over the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.