1/2 cup Whole Green Moong Dal
1 Onion chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2-3 Green Chilies
1/4 inch ginger chopped or grated
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 cup Coconut (I used desiccated coconut) or fresh grated Coconut
1 sprig Curry Leaves
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 pinch Asafoetida
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste
1. In a pressure cooker, wash the dal and cook in medium high until you get one whistle and then reduce the flame to medium low flame and cook it for more 3 whistles and off the flame.
2. Meanwhile, In a mixer add the grated or desiccated coconut, green chilies, cumin seeds and ginger, grind it to a paste, add water if needed…I like to keep it as coarse ground.
3. In a kadai or sauce pan add oil and when it’s hot add mustard seeds, when they start to sputter, add the curry leaves, asafoetida, onions and turmeric powder and saute it until the onions turn golden brown.
4. Open the pressure cooker, bring to over the flame, add the ground paste, salt and little bit water, and now add the seasoning and cook again to a boil, keep mixing.
5. Serve this hot with steamed rice and ghee if you need.