We had potluck with friends for this Diwali and I had to take cake or cookies. As always I was so confused as to what to make. The only thing that was running in my mind is to make Diyas which should be edible. So I finally decided to make cake and decorate with edible diyas. I made this cake egg less because I was not sure if everyone would eat non-veg as well. I would like to say that I love cakes made with eggs, but this one turned out good too. Personally I don’t like raisins in cake, so if you too don’t like you can very well substitute with any other dry fruit.
Edible Diya Ingredients:
1 cup Chocolate Almond Fudge
Note: Please click on the above link to view the recipe
2-3 tbsp Khoya
1/4 cup Yellow Candy Melts
1 Orange Sugar Sprinkles or any other color of your choice
1. Take a small ball size chocolate almond fudge, with you fingers flatten it a bit and then make diya shape.
2. Make as many as you want and keep it in fridge so that it hardens and holds its shape well.
3. Meanwhile in a a microwave bowl melt the candy melts until it melts 3/4 and keep stirring. Make sure you don’t over melt, as it will burn the chocolate.
4. Allow it to cool a bit, and add it to a piping bag or a zip lock, make a small hole and pipe out to a diya shape on a parchment or wax paper and sprinkle the sugar sprinkles and allow it to cool and harden.
5. Now take each diya base, add little bit of khoya into it and then stick the diya in front and again keep it in fridge until it hardens again.
6. You can make it ahead and decorate or eat it as a dessert as well.
Eggless Apple Sauce Cake Ingredients:
Note: This measurement is for one 8″ inch cake, I doubled it to make a two layer cake.
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients, mix well.
3. Now add apple sauce, butter and mix it until well blended.
4. Now fold in the raisins and almonds.
5. Now line an 8″ baking pan with little bit of butter and dust with all purpose flour.
6. Now transfer the batter to the pan and bake it for about 45 to 50 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Remove it from the oven, let it rest for about 10 mins, transfer it to a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely before you decorate it, or you can enjoy this cake as it is.
Caramel Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
2 -3 tbsp Caramel Sauce
2 cups Whipped Cream
1 cup Whipped Cream Cheese (room temperature)
1. Mix all the ingredients so that you don’t see any lumps of the cream cheese.
2. Keep it in fridge for about 30 mins, so that it hardens a bit, which will make it easy to decorate.
1. On a cake stand place one 8″ cake then add some of the icing on top so that the second layer will stick, place the second 8 ” cake over the icing.
2. Now ice the cake all over. Allow it to cool for aout 30 mins in fridge before you place the diyas or do any more decorations on the cake.
3. I did a small design with pink sugar sprinkles, then placed the edible diyas.
4. Enjoy this beautiful looking and yummy cake for any occasion