Is this name new to you? I don’t blame you. In this modern world, people are so much into fast food that we almost forgot what our forefathers used to eat on a daily basis which is 100% more healthy food and no wonder they were stronger and more energetic people. I always used to love the roti’s made out of sorghum flour (jonnalu), but it was only once in a while that mom used to make. Though I knew the importance of this flour, never realized the importance of using it more in our food routine. This time when mom visited, I had asked her to get this flour and started experimenting on making more recipes out of this nutritious and fiber packed flour. I learned to make roti in a more softer way. (I already made that twice, but didn’t get a chance to click pics and to publish, will do it sure next time).
The idea behind this recipe was, when we can make idiyappam with rice and raagi flour why not with this flour too. So tired it on a weekend, so that I have ample amount of time and would have other options if this didn’t turn out good. To my surprise it came out so good. Was wondering if it tastes different and maybe H and Anush would not like it, but I didn’t feel any different than the regular idiyappam. Well I should say, once your mind is set to just look at the benefits, texture of taste will not be a problem at all. This is often proved by kids. 🙂 If my son likes it, then anyone can eat it. He he…
1. In a mixing bowl add sorghum flour and salt and mix it well. Add boiling water and stir it with a wooden spoon or spatula or you can also use food processor or stand mixer to do this job of dough making or else use hands, make sure that you don’t burn your hand when pouring hot water.
2. Make sure to use water little by little, so that you can form a soft dough.
3. Keep it covered with a damp cloth until you prepare the idiyappam stand or idli cooker.
4. Mix coconut and cardamom powder.
5. Now grease the idli plates with some oil. I used a pressure pan filled with little water and placed idli plates.
6. Now in each plate make the noodles out of the prepared dough, fill it half way, sprinkle some coconut, again fill the rest with noodles.
7. Cover and cook it for about 15 mins,without whistle.
8. Remove it to a serving plate and enjoy it with some sugar or palm sugar or some egg curry.