I am visiting India after three and a half years and it has changed a lot. I went to get groceries and saw that there are so many varieties of all the things. I thought I will shop for some puttu podi and I was shocked to see this cornmeal puttu, immediately I grabbed a packet. I was little nervous about, the time I need to cook it, but it was the same as we do with rice flour. It was very tasty and something different. If you have read my post of Raagi Puttu, I would have mentioned that I never used to like puttu as a child, but lately I started experimenting with different flours and well I must agree that it’s a healthy breakfast and can be made in few minutes. I made this puttu in my in-laws and everyone liked it. This is the first recipe I am trying after coming to India and it turned out good, so will probably try more recipes. 🙂
1. Mix yellow corn meal / corn puttu podi with salt and cardamom powder.
2. Little by little add water and keep mixing it with your hand until you get a wet but coarse meal, to check if you have the right consistancy, take a little bit of the cornmeal and try to press with your fingers, if it holds well, then it means it’s done, else again add some more water and mix.
3. In a puttu maker, add water and heat it, meanwhile add a little bit of grated coconut in the bottom of the puttu maker, then add the cornmeal mixture half way through, again add little bit of coconut, fill the rest with cormeal mixture again, and finally add coconut and close th lid, and cook it for about 7-8 mins or until the cornmeal is cooked.
4. With a spoon, push the cornmeal puttu out of the puttu maker to a serving plate.
5. Enjoy it with some sugar or pappadam or banana.