1. Clean and wash the chicken. Marinate the chicken with half of the ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric, little bit of chili powder and coriander powder for about 2-3 hours or overnight.
2. In a heavy bottom pan or deep dish pan, add oil, when it’s hot add bay leaf, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, fennel seeds and let it saute it for a min.
3. Add onions, saute it until it turns golden brown, add rest of the ginger-garlic paste, and saute it for about a min or until it turns slight brown, add the tomatoes, cover and cook until the tomatoes get soft, now add rest of the spice powders i.e., chili, coriander powder and saute it until the masala of spices and tomatoes change to darker color and also check for the oil that will bubble out between the masala.
4. Now add the chicken and increase the flame to medium high, saute it for few mins, keep stirring it, so that it does not burn.
5. Now lower the flame to little higher than low, cover and cook it for about 10-12 mins.
6. Now open the lid stir it occasionally and cook it until the chicken is done, if you feel that it does not have enough gravy, then you can add some warm water and cook it for about a 2 mins more. Best results will be if you don’t add any water, to achieve this, try reducing the flame more and cook the chicken all through with the steam created while covered.
7. Enjoy this yummy chicken curry with roti, chapati or steamed rice, pulav or biriyani.