Wheat Grass is something I have never heard before few months. As and when I heard about this, I wanted to do a drink to try and taste it. I did notice later that even grocery stores started selling this grass. But since I believe homemade or homegrown is always the best, I wanted to try even that. In the beginning I was not sure how to. Well Google is always comes to your rescue, so for me. 🙂 Wow I was amazed to see the results, it grew fast and it was easy, didn’t take much maintenance at all. It was one of the easiest plant I grew indoors.
Here in this post, I am going to also explain, how to grow one at home and use it in your drinks or make juice or smoothies. Before all that I want to emphasize more on the nutrition of this beautiful grass.
Wheat Grass Nutrition
Wheat Grass is nothing but a common wheat plant. Live plants, like this grass is rich in chlorophyll, amino acids, minerals, vitamins and enzymes. According to American Caner Society, it is said to provide general well-being to cancer prevention. It is a good source of fiber.
How to grow Wheat Grass at home
1. Take a handful of whole wheat kernel, wash and soak them in water overnight. Make sure you have enough water, as it will double in its size.
2. Now prepare a pot or any plastic container with potting soil or starter soil, it should be damp, but not too wet. Make sure the pot it 3/4 filled with soil.
3. Now strain the water from the soaked wheat kernel, spread it all over the pot of soil, and sprinkle with some more soil. Don’t cover the seeds on whole. a little bit of soil will be enough.
4. Make sure you keep the pot or container in a little bit warm place, where you will get enough sunlight. In front of a window will be best. I kept mine indoor in front of a window.
5. Water it very little but daily.
6. The growth can be seen withing few days. It might take 2 weeks or so.
7. Once it reaches the height as shown in the picture, you can chop it with a scissor and use it as you want.
1 cup Wheat Grass chopped
1 cup Strawberries chopped
1 tbsp Maple Syrup (Optional)
1. Add all these ingredients in a blender and add water/milk/yogurt to make it thin (I just used some water) and make a puree out of the ingredients.
2. Strain this liquid and drink it to freshen your day and clean your system as well.
3. You can also experiment with different fruits and vegetables. I would recommend to use a combination of both vegetables and fruits.