2-3 lbs Mutton
1 big bunch Gongura Leaves, leaves separated from stem and washed clean
1 big Onion sliced
3 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Chili powder
2 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
1. Wash the mutton and marinate with ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and keep aside for 1 hour.
2. In a heavy bottom pan add oil, when it’s hot add sliced onions and saute it until they are translucent, now add the marinated mutton, mix well, cook on medium-high flame, keep turning occasionally until the raw smell from the spices is gone and the mutton is coated well with all the spice powders and the water from the mutton starts to come out for about 4-5 mins.
3. Now cover the mutton an cook it until it’s well done, for about 20-30 mins. You can also cook the mutton in a pressure cooker for two whistles and cook for about more 5-10 mins in medium flame.
4. In another heavy bottom sauce pan, add the gongura leaves and little water and cover and cook it for about 15-20 mins, stirring it occasionally until it’s well cooked and makes sure the bottom does not burn, and the leaves will almost become like paste and mushy.
5. Now add the gongura to the cooked mutton and cook it more for about 5-8 mins, add garam masala and cook it for about 1 min or so.
6. Enjoy this awesome mutton curry with roti, chapati or steamed rice or in Andhra they serve it with Raagi Mudha (Red Millet Rice Balls).