Chocolate is one my favorite sweet things that I can eat anytime and all the time and chocolate cake no words to tell more than the name itself. Yumm….Sometimes you should make your life easy, by just buying a cake mix, baking it and enjoy the cake.
When I was looking to make this cake, I also noticed that I had a big zucchini sitting in the fridge and waiting for me to use it. So I didn’t want to disappoint it and want to bath and bake with the delicious chocolate. So I added grated zucchini in the cake mix and also make chocolate ganache and added zucchini to it as well.
When my son saw that I was adding zucchini, he commented “mom always adds something green in everything and in cake too”. So at first I was scared that he would not eat it, but he tasted it and liked it and ate all of it. 🙂 That is what makes me happy. 😉
- 1 Pkt Betty Crocker's German Chocolate Cake mix
- 3 Cups Grated zucchini
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping cream
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter
- 3-4 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Prepare the cake batter according to the instructions on cake mix box.
- Add in 2 cups of grated zucchini, and mix it until well blended.
- Bake it according to the baking directions on the box, as we added zucchini, the cooking time might be longer so keep an eye on the oven. I used two 9 inch round pans, so that I can make two layered cake. You can choose any cake pan of your choice.
- To make sure the cake it done, insert a tooth pick in middle of the cake and it should come out clean.
- allow it to cool on a cooling rack.
- In a pan add butter and when it's medium hot, add 1 cup zucchini and cook it for about 7-8 mins, or until it's little tender and soft and all it's raw smell should be gone.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and whipping cream and melt the chocolate half way and stir it until all the chocolate it melted. It might take about 30 secs to 1 min or more.
- Now mix the cooked zucchini to the chocolate mix, the consistency of the ganache should not be too thick or too water, it should be easy spreadable.
- If it is too thick you can add more warm whipping cream or melted butter.
- Place the flat surface of one of the cakes on a cake stand or any plate.
- Add 1/3 of the ganache and spread it all around the top of the cake.
- Place the second cake upside down, so that the flat surface up.
- Now add the chocolate ganache and cover the top and if needed on the sides as well or just add the powdered sugar dust on top and enjoy this yummy healthy cake.