Spring is here yayyy!!… well it’s time to celebrate 🙂 Now I can see fresh green spring vegetables in the market at their best.
When you combine spring and green veggies, I remember the beautiful asparagus. I love it’s texture and mild taste which is simple to make or add to recipes.
I was too inspired and got tow bunches of these tender green asparagus and wanted to make something light and interesting for my kid to enjoy his veggie and eat it happily. Well it’s time give work to mama brain.
Without any particular plan, I started to chop the asparagus to small pieces. Still no idea as to what to make…So I decided to sate it in a pan with little oil and some garlic powder and salt. I opened the fridge door and noticed that I had dosa batter. I know my son loves crispy dosas and anything around cheese, so I decided to make these incredibly tasty asparagus cheese dosa.
It was yummm and a filling recipe, crispy, healthy and cheesy recipe. My son enjoyed it and we as well did, infact I should say we loved it. I am sure I will make this often for sure. 🙂 You can experiment with any kind of dosa batter. I used the basic dosa batter to make the dosas.
The Nutrition facts of asparagus is as follows: Asparagus is low in calories and is very low in sodium. It is a good source of Vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium and zinc, and a very good source of dietary fiber, protein, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorous, potassium, copper, manganese and selenium, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. The amino acid asperagine gets it’s name from asparagus, as the asparagus plant is relatively rich in this compound.
- 1 bunch fresh Asparagus chopped
- 1 Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Cups Dosa Batter (I used regular dosa batter made out of rice and urad dal)
- salt as needed
- 1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper flakes
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic powder or fresh Garlic crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Oil
- In a pan, add oil, when it's medium hot, add asparagus, salt, red pepper flakes and garlic powder, sate it all together for about just few minutes, about 4-5 minutes on medium high heat, until the water from asparagus is evaporated.
- Make sure asparagus is not over cooked, it should be still crunchy and bright green in color. The reason being that asparagus cooks very quickly and it will taste good if it's little crunchy and bright green in color.
- Off the flame and keep it aside to come to room temperature.
- Heat a dosa pan to medium high heat, add a ladle of dosa batter on the pan and spread to a dosa shape, cook both sides until crispy golden brown. Adding oil to make dosa is optional.
- Flip it upside down, add a layer of cheese on half side of the dosa, then spoon the asparagus and spread on top of the cheese and sprinkle some more cheese on top, fold the rest half of the dosa on top of the asparagus cheese topping and press a bit.
- Flip it again and cook until it gets crispy.
- Make sure you don't over fill with either asparagus or cheese, as the filling will come out.
- Repeat these steps to make more dosas and use all the asparagus.