I got these whole Jonnalu/Jowar from store and thought it would cook like barley. I tried, but it would not cook like the way I wanted. I was worried that I will not be able to use it anymore and I didn’t know any other recipe too.
I waited and waited for few weeks and all these weeks it was on my mind. So came up with this recipe and gave it a try and believe me, no one knew that it didn’t have the usual rice and urad dal in the recipe…everyone ate it like the regular dosa and I am planning to use it more often as it’s a healthier option and has more proteins and fiber.
I made only a small batch of batter, as I was not sure how it would turn out. Please modify the quantity to make big batches. 🙂
- 1 Cup Whole Jowar Grains/Jonnalu
- 1/2 Cup Whole Green Moong Dal
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Wash and soak Jowar and green moong dal combined overnight or at least 8 hours in sufficient water.
- Grind these along with water in a mixer/grinder to a dosa batter consistency.
- Leave it to ferment, preferably overnight or atleast 8 hours in a warm place.
- After fermenation, mix with salt and store in fridge or use it right away to make dosa.
- Make dosa on a non-stick skillet, use a ladle to pour batter whent he skillet is hot and cook first side for few minutes, flip and cook another few minutes.
- Optional: can add oil, butter or ghee of your choice
- Serve with choice of chutney / sambar / dosa podi and ghee/ oil etc.,