I have a neighbor who does lot of homemade stuff and totally love her recipes which are a healthier better version and easy to make than the store bought. She and her daughter are very creative in finding and experimenting with recipes and sometimes we get together to make it together.
As she is busy with her life and I got busy with new baby and stuff, we could not get together as often as we did before, but I wanted to make something for my son who is a chocolate and nut lover, so finally got some time to make this with them and noted the recipe too.
I did use few different ingredients with respect to more healthier and less sweeter options. You can also do accordingly. I will make sure I give options and choices as I explain the ingredients and the process.
- 1 Cup Butter (used Organic Valley Unsalted Butter)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Light Karo Syrup
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped Almonds (used the with skin slivered almonds)
- 1 LB Grated Chocolate (I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate, you can use semi sweet or a combo of both)
- Note: Don't use baking chocolate
- 1 Cup finely chopped Almonds
- Prepare a heat proof surface, like a clean kitchen tile or baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Spread half of the fine almonds and half chocolate.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add sugar, karo syrup and water, stir occassionally.
- Keep a candy thermometer and wait until it reaches 300 F.
- Note: To make sure the sugar syrup reached the candy consistency, first notice that the color has changed a little to caramelized golden brown color and the mixture will pull away from the edges of the pan when stirred. Next I took a glass/ceramic bowl of cold water, add few drops of the syrup and wait 1-2 secs and then you can easily roll the drops to a ball and it will get hard and you can eat and check. you have to be quick to do this while the sugar syrup is still cooking and make sure it does not get burnt.
- Lower the flame and mix in coarsely chopped almonds.
- Pour this mixture over the prepared surface, spread a little if needed.
- Cover immediately with rest of the half of the fine almonds and chocolate.
- Allow to cool to room temperature. It will take atleast 1-2 hours to cool.
- Break into pieces and enjoy.