This is the time of year you hear and see a lot of eggnog around grocery stores and hear a lot about it. I always wanted to try and taste from a store bought one. But never bought it or avoid it from buying from the store looking at ingredients they used to preserve it and was always it doubt if they used whole egg or just yolks and if the eggs are cooked well for it to be safe for kids. Am not worried about using whole eggs in a recipe, but was not sure if they used it and as whole and whether it’s cooked well.
This year kids were really waiting to get some goodies to eat and have fun. While I was not in a very festive mood of a family loss. But gave it a try, so that I can make kids happy at least who don’t know what going around other than the happy festive things all around. Being in kitchen, or doing something that I like will always make me happy and feel better while I get distracted from sad things.
Making this at home is very easy and with just the ingredients around kitchen. You can always substitute with any other milk like almond, soy, cashew etc., and also make it richer using heavy whipping cream and half n half. I just used whole milk as I am trying for the first time and was not sure if everyone would like it or not.
Truly it’s a winner in my house and the best way to sneak in some goodness of egg yolks into kids who don’t like it much. My older son does not like eggs so much, but guess what he loved the eggnog. so yay for me. 🙂
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg powder
- In a heavy bottom pan, add egg yolks separated from whites, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisk well so that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Heat the mixture in medium flame, while whisking or mixing most of the time until it reaches the temperature of 160 F or until the milk is all heated up, so that u know the egg yolk is cooked well.
- (make sure there are no lumps)
- Off the flame and keep stirring a lit bit more.
- Let it cool and keep it fridge to chill for at least 1 hr.
- Serve it cold or at room temperature.
- * Use any other milk like almond, % milk, cashew milk, lactose free milk or Soy milk or any other milk of your choice.
- * Can also add heavy whipping cream or half n half to make it more richer.