Love evening snacks with my tea always, that’s the time I really sit, relax and enjoy. Indian snacks can never replace another to have it with tea. I tend to eat a little over than usual, so wanted to try a healthier version.
I don’t remember where I saw this chivda, which was few months back and from that day wanted to try but didn’t happen even after I got the oats. I got at least more than 1lb rolled oats to make a big batch of this chivda. But my H who loves to eat these oats for breakfast, finished half of it before I could try to make this. But everything happens for a reason don’t u agree?
It’s good for me, because I can eat only a little of it. 😉 It was yumm. It was nothing different than the regular chivda, but no deep frying and lot healthier. You can tweak the basic recipe and experiment with ur own creativity of adding ingredients to it like dry nuts, seeds and dry fruits.
It feels great when you can make it at home, know exactly what’s in it and enjoy without any guilt. 🙂
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Split Chick Peas
- Salt as needed
- Coconut Sugar as needed
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil or any other Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves (I didn't have so skipped it)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- Dry roast rolled oats in a pan until it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove it to a plate and allow it to cool.
- In the same pan, add oil, when hot add peanuts and roast until golden brown, add split chick peas, mustard, cumin seeds, asfoetida, red chilies, curry leaves and saute until golden brown and mustard should sputter.
- Add the oats, salt and sugar and mix well for few mins and off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Store it in a air tight container and enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee.
- * you can add your choice of dry fruits, nuts and seeds to this basic recipe.